South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Conway Residential Historic District, Horry County (Conway)
S1081772603101 S1081772603102 S1081772603103 S1081772603104 S1081772603105
Confederate Memorial
Sixth Ave.
First Baptist Church
603 Elm St.
D. G. Spivey House
509 Beaty St.
609 Beaty St. Kingston Presbyterian
Church Manse
501 Elm St.
S1081772603106 S1081772603107 S1081772603108 S1081772603109 S1081772603110
King House
506 Elm St.
William B King House
604 Elm St.
606 Elm St. V. F. Platt House
610 Elm St.
Paul Sasser House
611 Elm St.
S1081772603111 S1081772603112 S1081772603113 S1081772603114 S1081772603115
First Baptist
Church Pastorium
700 Elm St.
Col. H. L. Buck House
701 Elm St.
Walter A. Stilley House
706 Elm St.
Gurganus-Collins House
902 Elm St.
907 Elm St.
S1081772603116 S1081772603117 S1081772603118 S1081772603119 S1081772603120
507 Laurel St. Norton-Nye House
511 Laurel St.
J. W. Holliday House
701 Laurel St.
706 Laurel St. Burroughs School
801 Main St.
S1081772603121 S1081772603122 S1081772603123 S1081772603124 S1081772603125
Beaty-Little House
507 Main St.
George Jenkins House
1106 Fifth Ave.
Thomas House
1107 Fifth Ave.
H. G. Cushman House
1108 Fifth Ave.
1201 Fifth Ave.

Page 1 of 2 Next

The Conway Residential Historic District is architecturally significant as an excellent and varied collection of quality nineteenth and twentieth-century residential buildings. The Conway Residential Historic District illustrates the residential development of the city of Conway from the mid-nineteenth century until ca. 1955. Most buildings within the District were constructed in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries during a period of great growth and development in Conway. The District includes residential architectural styles from the mid-nineteenth century Greek Revival and Carpenter Gothic Revival to the Queen Anne and Italianate houses of the Victorian era, from the Neo-Classical of the turn of the twentieth century to the large and more modest Craftsman bungalows of the 1920s, from the Tudor and Colonial Revival of the 1920s and 1930s to the post-World War II Minimal Traditional forms and late Colonial Revival and Neo-Classical Revival houses of the 1950s. The District also contains four apartment buildings, one school, a church, and a Confederate monument. Altogether the District includes 125 buildings and one object that contribute to the architectural and historic character of the District, and thirty-seven buildings that are less than fifty years old or significantly altered in such a way that they do not contribute. The presence of ancient live oak trees and other landscape features in and along its streets give definition and character to Conway's oldest neighborhood. Listed in the National Register April 7, 2010.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Conway Residential Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Conway, ca. 1850-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.