South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Kingston Presbyterian Church, Horry County (800 Third Ave., Conway)
S1081772603001 S1081772603002 S1081772603003 S1081772603004 S1081772603005
Facade Left Oblique Steeple Detail Portico Detail Right Elevation
S1081772603006 S1081772603007 S1081772603008 S1081772603009 S1081772603010
Interior
Pulpit
Interior
Sanctuary
Interior
Gallery
Interior
Narthex
Educational
Building

The Kingston Presbyterian Church, built in 1858, is significant architecturally as an outstanding example of antebellum Greek Revival ecclesiastical design. The church features a portico set on square columns with recessed panels and square pilasters, a three-bay fašade with central triple sash windows of twenty lights each, and flanking double doors with architrave. Kingston Presbyterian Church symbolizes the social and economic success of the village of Kingston, present day Conway. Kingston Township and the village of Kingston were established when the British Crown decreed that a township should be laid out on the Waccamaw River some hundred miles from Charles Town. The name Kingston was chosen in honor of King George II, and the township and village were opened for settlement in 1735.The church building was originally sheathed with weatherboard, but was covered in stucco in 1930 when a stuccoed brick addition was added to the rear. The brick addition was designed by Florence, South Carolina architect Walter D. Harper. The present steeple was added to the building in 1962. The steeple replaced a late nineteenth-century steeple with a rectangular base and a pointed spire containing diamond-shaped, louvered vents, damaged by Hurricane Hazel in 1954. When initially constructed the church, a Greek Revival temple form edifice, had no steeple. The nomination also includes a contributing brick educational building that was constructed in 1956. The educational building, with a two-story Colonial Revival style residential appearance, was designed by the Wilson, North Carolina, architectural firm of Charles C. Benton and Sons. Listed in the National Register September 28, 2009.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.