South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

John P. Derham House, Horry County (1076 Green Sea Road, Green Sea)
S1080772602801 S1081772602802 S1081772602803 S1081772602804 S1081772602805
Facade Right Oblique Right Elevation Right Rear Oblique Rear Elevation
S1081772602806 S1081772602807 S1081772602808 S1081772602809 S1081772602810
Left Rear Oblique Left Elevation "Rain" Porch Detail Rear Porch Detail
Rain Basin
Outbuilding
Servant's Quarters
S1081772602811 S1081772602812 S1081772602813 S1081772602814  
Outbuilding
Smokehouse/
Storage Building
Outbuilding
Barn
Outbuilding
Tobacco Packhouse
Outbuilding
Wash House, Privy
and Garage

The John P. Derham House is historically significant for its association with politician and farmer, John P. Derham (1861-1947) who served in a number of local and statewide government positions including Horry County Senator (1892-96) and House Representative (1907-08) and South Carolina Comptroller General (1898-1902). He was also appointed as a charter member of the state tax commission when it was founded in 1915 and remained on that board until his death in 1947. In addition to his political service, Derham was a farmer who, along with four other neighbors, was responsible for spreading tobacco cultivation in Horry County by bringing in agricultural experts in 1889. The John P. Derham House contains a large farmhouse along with sizable acreages of plowed fields and orchards and a substantial collection of outbuildings, including one dating to the antebellum period, that represent a typical farmstead of the early twentieth century. Built in 1900 by John P. Derham, the Folk Victorian, frame dwelling house is clad with plain weatherboards. It is L-shaped with a massed interior plan and a cross gable, asphalt-shingled roof. The central core of the house is one-and-one-half-stories while the rear kitchen ell is one-story. The fašade features a hip roof "Rain" porch, or a porch or columns that extend from the ceiling to the ground rather than the porch floor. Outbuildings consist of a servant’s quarters, storage building, a barn, tobacco packhouse, washhouse, privy, and garage. Listed in the National Register October 4, 2005.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.