|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
W. H. Winborne House, Horry County (1300 6th Ave., Conway)
|Left Oblique||Right Oblique|| Interior
The W.H. Winborne House, constructed ca. 1925, is a brick one-and-one half story, rectangular plan, cross-gable roofed bungalow-craftsman style residence. It features built in cabinet work, decorative mantels, and interior and exterior furniture made by W.H. Winborne, a woodworking and furniture craftsman who owned and operated a lumber company in Conway. The fašade is dominated by a broad peaked gable with knee-braces over an integral porch which wraps three elevations. Tapering, paired, square posts have brick-pier bases and slot balustrades. The paired porch posts support a horizontal board entablature. The gable end is shingle-sheathed and ahs the tripartite window motif as in the fašade gable. Wallace Henry Winborne came to Conway in 1906 from North Carolina and worked with the Burroughs Lumber Company, which he subsequently purchased and named the W.H. Winborne Lumber Company. He built this residence ca. 1925, about the time of his retirement and lived here until his death in 1947. The house is one of the finest bungalow style residences in Conway. Winborne also designed Conway’s town clock, completed in 1939 and built from local cypress. Listed in the National Register August 5, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Conway, ca. 1850-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.