|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
C. P. Quattlebaum Office, Horry County (903 3rd Ave., Conway)
The C. P. Quattlebaum Office, constructed as a residence in 1860, is significant as a relatively intact building from the period of Conway’s first significant growth and as the first bank building in the town, as well as for its association with C. P. Quattlebaum. C. P. Quattlebaum was a prominent lawyer in Conwayborough and was a “Red Shirt” follower of Wade Hampton. He was also the first mayor of Conway, beginning his term in 1898. The building was used as a law office for the firm Johnson, Johnson, and Quattlebaum after 1876. The Bank of Conway, the town’s first bank, was established in 1893 and its offices were located in the front of the building until 1899, when new offices were built. Quatttlebaum continued to use the rear room as his law office. The building was moved to Third Avenue, its present location, adjacent to the Paul Quattlebaum House, about the same time and Quattlebaum used it as his law office until his death in 1929. The office is a rectangular, Greek Revival influenced, front gable roofed, one-room wide and two-room deep weatherboard-clad building with a central corbeled brick chimney. The fašade features a three bay, hipped roof porch supported by square posts. Windows are floor to ceiling and have a plain entablature with shelf architrave. Listed in the National Register August 5, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Conway, ca. 1850-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.