|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
C. P. Quattlebaum House, Horry County (219 Kingston St., Conway)
|Facade||Right Oblique|| Outbuilding
The C. P. Quattlebaum House was constructed ca. 1855, and was purchased in 1887 by Cephas Perry Quattlebaum, who extensively renovated it at that time. The house has integrity from the 1887 remodeling. The house is a two-story, T-plan, cross-gable roofed, frame, weatherboard-clad residence with a two-story, projecting, polygonal bay on the right elevation. Distinctive architectural features of the house include the two-tiered wrap around porch with sawn brackets and the scalloped and saw-toothed shingles in the gable. It is also significant for its association with C. P. Quattlebaum. Quattlebaum was a prominent Horry County lawyer and politician for over fifty years and was the town’s first mayor. The nomination also includes a late nineteenth century weatherboard-clad smokehouse. Listed in the National Register August 5, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Conway, ca. 1850-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.