South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Pleasant Inn, Horry County (200 Broadway, Myrtle Beach)
S1081772601901 S1081772601902 S1081772601903
Facade Right Elevation Right Rear Oblique

The Pleasant Inn, built ca. 1927, is typical of Myrtle Beach boarding houses in that it features a low, two-story height; wood frame construction; tiered, two-story full facade porches; side stairway leading to upstairs entrance; and rentable rooms for boarders. Stylistic features displayed by the house are exposed rafter ends and gable vents. The rear porch was closed in on both floors prior to 1974. The inn is significant for its association with Myrtle Beach’s period of growth and prosperity as a coastal community resort from 1926 to 1954 and as an excellent example of residential properties commonly built in Myrtle Beach in the mid-twentieth century. It was one of a number of houses built during this time to accommodate permanent residents and boarders. It is one of the few remaining examples of the two-story boarding/guest houses that pre-dates Hurricane Hazel (1954) and before the beach became populated by high-rise resorts. The same family has owned the house since 1929. Listed in the National Register November 7, 1996.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Myrtle Beach, ca. 1880-1954 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.