|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Old Horry County Courthouse, Horry County (Main St., Conway)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Window Detail|
(Conway City Hall) Significant as a center of county and city government for almost 150 years, the Old Courthouse now serves as Conway City Hall. It was reputedly designed by Robert Mills who was still on the South Carolina Board of Public Works at that time. The Commissioners of Public Buildings for Horry District contracted with Major Russell Warren in March of 1824 to erect the district courthouse. It was completed by May 15, 1825 according to contract. The courthouse is a two story Classical Revival brick building of common bond. The extended pediment is supported by Doric columns sheltering a second story portico which does not extend the full width of the fašade. The first story extension beneath the portico holds three high arches; through the center arch is a recessed street level entrance. The ground story arches have been enclosed to accommodate new offices and several windows throughout have been bricked over and painted. There are segmented arches over windows and an arched main entrance with sidelights and fanlight. Listed in the National Register April 7, 1971.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.