South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Myrtle Beach Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Station, Horry County
(jct. of Oak St. and Broadway, btw. Jackson St. and 8th Ave., Myrtle Beach)
S1081772601501 S1081772601502 S1081772601503 S1081772601504 S1081772601505
Facade, Street Main Facade, Railroad Right Oblique Right Elevation Left Rear Oblique
S1081772601506 S1081772601507 S1081772601508 S1081772601509 S1081772601510
Left Elevation Entrance Detail
Railroad Facade
Freight Area
Freight Area
Ceiling and Doors
Freight Area
Door Detail
Freight Area
Freight Door

The Myrtle Beach Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Station, constructed in 1937, is significant for its role in the transport of passengers and materials into Myrtle Beach during its early period of growth and prosperity, as an unusual variant of the standard railroad station used by the Atlantic Coast Line (ACL) Railroad during the first half of the twentieth century, and for its association with the Myrtle Beach Farms Company, who was responsible for the construction of the station and for the development of Myrtle Beach into a vacation destination in the early and mid twentieth century. The Myrtle Beach Farms Company was organized in 1912 and was a major factor in the development of Myrtle Beach from a naval stores operation into a thriving beach community because of their large land holdings. In 1936 the company entered into a land exchange with the ACL Railroad in which the company was responsible for constructing the new depot and then relinquishing ownership to the railroad. This one-story rectangular building was constructed with the standard ACL bi-level floor plan that has a raised freight room with steps leading down to the lobby/office area. However, the exterior architectural detailing, reflecting Colonial Revival, Craftsman, and Mission stylistic influences, is much more elaborate than other ACL Railroad stations in the south. The station has a hipped roof, brick bearing walls, a stepped parapet roof in the square bay, nine-over-nine windows, concrete sills, a decorative belt course above the windows, scroll-sawn rafter ends and a large roof overhang with open eaves. Listed in the National Register July 22, 2002.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.