|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
J. W. Holliday, Jr. House, Horry County (701 Laurel St., Conway)
|Right Oblique||Left Elevation||Facade Detial||Main Entrace Detail||Column Capital Detail|
This house was constructed in 1910 for Joseph William Holliday, Jr., and is a two-story, rectangular, side-gable, frame, weatherboard-clad residence, dominated by a pedimented Beaux Arts style portico with giant paired Ionic columns. The home reflects turn of the century Neo-Classical and Queen Anne stylistic influences as well. A small cameo window adorns the fašade’s pedimented gable. Two interior, ridgeline, corbeled brick chimneys pierce the roofline. The interior has an unusual architectural screen which separates the foyer and a dogleg staircase. Ionic columns support a spool-and-spindle motif entablature, which features a central carved “H.” The J.W. Holliday, Jr. House is significant as Conway’s only extant example of Beaux Arts influenced architecture as well as for its association with J.W. Holliday, Jr., a prominent local farmer. Joseph William Holliday, Jr. was the son of local tobacco merchant J.W. Holliday, who introduced tobacco into Horry County at Galivants Ferry. The son was an 1893 graduate of the Citadel and moved to Conway soon after leaving the academy. He became a leading tobacco grower, farming large tracts in Florence, Georgetown, and Williamsburg Counties. Listed in the National Register August 5, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Conway, ca. 1850-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.