|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hebron Church, Horry County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 475, Bucksville vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|| Right Elevation
(Hebron Methodist Church) Hebron Church, thought to have been built ca. 1855 and still in service at the time of its nomination, is a good example of mid-nineteenth century, rural South Carolina church architecture. According to church tradition, Hebron was built by the workers from the local mill and ship building industries which were thriving during this period and which helped to develop the area. Hebron is also considered tangible evidence of the Methodist tradition in Horry County, said to date from the eighteenth century. This rectangular “meeting house form” one-story church rests on approximately fifty brick piers and is sheathed with vertical board and chamfered-edged batten siding. The gable roof is covered with tin, replacing the original wooden shakes. The entrance to the church is covered with a slightly lower, pedimented, projecting portico supported by five square, wooden columns. The ceiling of the portico is plastered and painted, an atypical feature for buildings of this period. In 1958, church school rooms were added to the rear of the church. In 1961, brick steps were added to the front of the structure. The pews are original and are pine with beaded trim and carved moldings. Included within the nominated acreage are two graveyards: the church graveyard and the Henry Buck family graveyard located across the road. Listed in the National Register May 16, 1977.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.