South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Conway Methodist Church, 1898 and 1910 Sanctuaries, Horry County (5th Ave., Conway)
S1081772601001 S1081772601002 S1081772601003
1898 Sanctuary
Left Elevation
1898 Sanctuary
1910 Sanctuary

(Conway First United Methodist Church) These two sanctuaries are locally significant for their architectural styles. They also illustrate a period of rapid growth in the history of Conway, as the congregation which erected the small sanctuary of 1898 felt the need to erect a much larger one only twelve years later. The 1898 sanctuary is a one-story, brick, cruciform, cross-gable roofed, Gothic-influenced building. It is located at the site of a ca. 1845 sanctuary. It is laid in Flemish bond and features Tudor arched stained glass lancet windows with lozenges. The eaves have exposed rafters and purlin ends. Adjacent to this sanctuary is the 1910 sanctuary, designed by Joseph Leitner, an architect from Wilmington, North Carolina, and built by Henry P. Little, a Conway builder and contractor. This Mission Revival style (Spanish Colonial Revival) building is a large one-story, front-gabled roof, stuccoed building. Two square bell-towers with shaped parapets and corner posts frame the entrance bay. Both towers feature staggered, rectangular, one-over-one sash, stained panels and blind and louvered panels with key-blocks and drip moulds. Above the entrance parapet is a round-headed, recessed blind arch. There are knee-brackets supporting the overhanging eaves. When dedicated in October 1910 its seating capacity was estimated at 500. When the fourth sanctuary was built in 1961 this building was converted for use into a fellowship hall. Listed in the National Register August 5, 1986.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Conway, ca. 1850-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.