South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Conway Downtown Historic District, Horry County (Conway)
S1081772600901 S1081772600902 S1081772600903 S1081772600904 S1081772600905
City Hall/County Courthouse
Main St. and 3rd Ave.
Town Clock
Main St. and 3rd Ave.
300-302 Main St. Buck Building/
Nissen-Todd Dept. Store
301 Main St.
Conway Drug Co.
303 Main St.
S1081772600906 S1081772600907 S1081772600908 S1081772600909 S1081772600910
304 Main St. S. P. Hawes
Grocery Store/
Kahn's Dept. Store
306 Main St.
Horry Drug Co.
308 Main St.
Burroughs Bank
and Trust Co.
314 Main St.
Conway Hardware Co.
315 Main St.
S1081772600911 S1081772600912 S1081772600913 S1081772600914 S1081772600915
Burroughs and
Collings Co.
316 Main St.
Collins Dept. Store
320 Main St.
322-324 Maiin St. M. W. Collins Co.
316 Main St.
Woodward Building
327 Main St.
S1081772600916 S1081772600917 S1081772600918 S1081772600919 S1081772600920
326-328 Main St. S.T. Sessions and Sons
331 Main St.
Holliday Theatre
335 Main St.
1014 4th Ave. 1023-1025 4th Ave

Page 1 of 2 Next

The Conway Downtown Historic District is significant as the focal public commercial and social center of the city of Conway; as a collection of buildings associated with the commercial and governmental growth and development of Conway from ca. 1824 to ca. 1950; and as a typical example of architectural and commercial development and evolution in a small southern coastal town in the first half of the twentieth century. The Conway Downtown Historic District is a collection of forty commercial buildings, one public building, and one structure in the downtown area centered on Main Street and also including properties on Laurel Street, Third Avenue, and Fourth Avenue. Thirty-three buildings and one structure contribute to the character of the historic district, while eight buildings are non-contributing. The contributing properties were constructed from 1824 to ca. 1950, with the majority constructed between ca. 1900 to ca. 1940. Many of the historic commercial buildings in downtown Conway were built shortly after an 1897 fire destroyed several downtown businesses. The new brick buildings which were constructed on Main Street from ca. 1900 to ca. 1910 became the core of the city’s business district, an area which grew still larger from ca. 1910 to ca. 1940. The most significant and rapid growth occurred from ca. 1890 to ca. 1930, and was due to a large extent on the successful introduction of tobacco as a cash crop. Listed in the National Register August 19, 1994; Boundary increase March 31, 2010.

View a map showing the boundaries of the Conway Downtown Historic District.

View the complete text of the nomination form and the boundary increase (2010) for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Conway, ca. 1850-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproductionfor further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.