South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Burroughs School, Horry County (801 Main St., Conway)
S1081772600701 S1081772600702 S1081772600703 S1081772600704 S1081772600705
Facade, 1905
building entrance
with 1915 addition
Facade, 1923
auditorium complex
entrance
Facade, ca. 1945
cafeteria
Rear Elevation of
1905 building
and 1915 addition
Rear Elevation of
ca. 1945 cafeteria
S1081772600706 S1081772600707 S1081772600708 S1081772600709 S1081772600710
Rear Elevation of
of 1923 auditorium
Music Room
ca. 1935
Classroom
ca. 1935 Outbuilding
Boiler Plant
ca. 1935
Interior
Auditorium Foyer
S1081772600711 S1081772600712 S1081772600713    
Interior
Auditorium
Interior
1905 Classroom
Interior
1917 Classroom

(Burroughs Graded School) The Burroughs School is significant in the early history of education in Horry County and as a community center and local landmark in Conway. Burroughs School was constructed in three phases between 1905 and 1923. Architects who worked on this building during this period included Henry Emil Bonitz of Wilmington, NC and Charles Coker Wilson of Columbia. The two-story, brick building, which reveals the influences of the Georgian (or Colonial) Revival and Neoclassical styles, is the oldest remaining public school building in Horry County. The earliest central portion of the building, constructed in 1905 as an elementary school, was designed by Henry E. Bonitz. The fašade of this section has three main portions of eleven bays. The three-bay central portion is recessed behind the other two and features a one-story, hip roof porch supported by six Ionic columns with Scamozzi capitals. Flanking the central portion are hipped roof sections featuring a watertable and windows with radiating voussoirs, keystone architrave, and lug sills on each story. About 1915 a two-story hipped classroom wing was added to the building, with features matching the 1905 building. In 1923 four classrooms and an auditorium with Neoclassical motifs, designed by Charles Coker Wilson, was added to the complex. The auditorium is connected to the main school by a recessed two-story brick concourse and stairwell. The auditorium features a projecting central pavilion with a pedimented gable, two-story brick pilasters, and a slate-covered hip roof. The complex also contains later additions and buildings dating from ca. 1935 to ca. 1950. Listed in the National Register August 2, 1984.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.