|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Arthur Burroughs House, Horry County (500 Lakeside Dr., Conway)
|Facade||Right Elevation||Left Oblique|
The Arthur Burroughs House is significant as a fine and late example of Queen Anne-influenced architecture. It is the best such example in Conway, and is significant as well for its association with Arthur M. Burroughs, prominent local businessman. The house was built by contractor Henry P. Little, ca. 1903-1904 for $2800 and was occupied soon after Burroughs’ marriage to Frances G. Coles in November 1904. The two-story, asymmetrical plan frame residence is sheathed in shiplap siding and has a gabled-on-hip roof with two-story projecting pedimented bays. A two-story octagonal tower with turret, with bell-cast roof, is at the east corner of the house. A one-story hipped-roof porch wraps the fašade and right elevations. Arthur M. Burroughs was the son of Franklin G. Burroughs, cofounder of the Burroughs and Collins Company, and was successful in his own right in the local timber industry. Burroughs was killed in August 1912 in an accident at the Southern Wood Products Company, when a resin-processing tank exploded. Listed in the National Register August 5, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Conway, ca. 1850-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.