|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Beaty-Spivey House, Horry County (428 Kingston St., Conway)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Left Rear Oblique|
The Beaty-Spivey House is significant as one of the few extant, relatively intact residences in Conway dating from the last half of the nineteenth century as well as for its association with Thomas W. Beaty and D.A. Spivey. The house was constructed in ca. 1870 for Thomas Wilson Beaty and his wife Mary Brookman Beaty. The house is a one-and-one half story, cross-gable roofed frame residence sheathed in weatherboard. Two corbeled, brick, interior ridge line chimneys pierce the roof and the house rests on a brick pier with brick infill foundation. The fašade features a projecting gable with a half-story above and three-bay porch with four tapering, octagonal, freestanding posts and recessed porch at the first story. A one-story gable-roofed bay which was built ca. 1902 projects from the rear elevation. This appendage features a one-story hipped-roof porch which wraps three elevations. Beaty was a partner in a naval stores firm, a delegate to the Secession Convention, state representative in 1864-1865, publisher and editor of the Horry Weekly News, and state senator. Beaty died in 1886 and the house operated as a boarding house for some time after his death. Doctor Allen Spivey and R.B. Scarborough bought the house from the Mary Beaty estate in 1902. Spivey was well known as president and director of the Peoples National Bank of Conway. Listed in the National Register August 5, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Conway, ca. 1850-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.