|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Beaty-Little House, Horry County (507 Main St., Conway)
|Right Oblique||Left Oblique|| Outbuilding
The Beaty-Little House is significant as one of the few extant, relatively intact residences in Conway dating from the antebellum period and for its association with John R. Beaty and Henry P. Little. The house was built ca. 1855 for John Robinson Beaty by the Eaton brothers, shipbuilders from Bucksport, Maine, who had moved to Horry County to build ships at Bucksville on the Waccamaw River. It is a two-story, rectangular, central hall plan residence with a hipped roof and two interior brick chimneys. The frame house is clad in weatherboard and rests on a brick pier with brick infill foundation. A five-bay, one-story, full-width, hipped-roof porch extends across the fašade. This porch features six turned, freestanding Tuscan-influenced columns. The porch deck is recessed, i.e. a “rain porch,” and has an elaborately sawn balustrade. Beaty was killed in the Civil War by friendly fire in 1865, the house remained in the Beaty family until it was purchased by Henry Pyle Little in 1904. Little, a building contractor from Tennessee, came to Conway in 1899 and built several of the town’s public buildings, including the Horry County Courthouse, ca. 1906, and the 1910 sanctuary of the Conway Methodist Church. He also served as Mayor of Conway for five years and was active in local politics and business for nearly forty years. Little lived in the house until his death in 1941. Listed in the National Register August 5, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Conway, ca. 1850-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.