|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
H. W. Ambrose House, Horry County (1503 Elm St., Conway)
|Facade||Right Rear Oblique|| Outbuilding
Three Bay Garage
(Dunmeade) The H.W. Ambrose House, an adaptation of the English manor (or Tudor Revival) style, is significant as a fine example of a house-type reminiscent of an architectural style popular in Canada, and one very rare in the Southeast. The house, which was built from 1924 to 1926, is a large two-and-one-half-story, cruciform plan, brick residence. A steeply-pitched gable roof encompasses the top one-and-one-half stores and is sheathed in slate. The house is also significant for its association with Henry Ambrose who served as general manager of the Conway Lumber Company from 1906 until his death in 1937. He built the house for his wife, Maude Law Ambrose, a native of Canada. She wanted her new house to remind her of the architectural styles of that area. A contributing one-and-one-half story, three bay garage and pool house, built in the same style of the main house is included in the nominated property. Listed in the National Register August 5, 1986.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Conway, ca. 1850-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.