|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Depot, Horry County (U.S. Hwy. 701, Conway)
The Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Depot is significant architecturally and for its association with the railroad’s impact on the commercial development and growth of Conway. Constructed in 1928, the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Depot is a long, rectangular, one-story, gable-roofed, frame board-and-batten building constructed in a craftsman-influenced style. The building features the wide overhanging eaves (to protect passengers and freight from inclement weather) which are typical of railroad depots of the period. Shaped rafter tails and knee braces supporting the eaves are also typical of the craftsman style. The elevation facing the tracks (east) has a slightly projecting, gable-roofed ticket bay at the street end. A raised loading platform extends the rest of the length of the building. The west elevation has a similar treatment with the exception of the ticket bay. The depot was constructed as a result of a lawsuit filed by the city against Atlantic Coast Line, which required the railroad to remove and reroute the tracks on Main Street in 1928. Listed in the National Register May 18, 1995.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Conway, ca. 1850-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.