South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

John Lawton House, Hampton County (118 Third St., Estill)
S1081772501001 S1081772501002 S1081772501003 S1081772501004 S1081772501005
Facade Facade
Main Entrance Facade
Right Porch
Left Oblique
S1081772501006 S1081772501007 S1081772501008 S1081772501009 S1081772501010
Left Elevation
Left Elevation
Left Rear
Right Rear
Right Elevation
S1081772501011 S1081772501012 S1081772501013 S1081772501014 S1081772501015
Main Entrance
Central Hall
Dining Room
Parlor Fireplace
S1081772501016 S1081772501017      
Rear Bedroom

The John Lawton House, completed in 1908, is significant locally for its architecture. The house is a fine example of a rural, early twentieth century home built by a plantation family making the transition to simpler, pared-down life in a small railroad town. The house was originally built as the new “in-town” home of John Lawton, owner of the nearby plantation Jericho, in the old community of Lawtonville. The Lawton House was one of the earliest homes to be built in the new town of Estill, incorporated in 1905. The house was substantially renovated in 1947, changing the exterior style from its original Classical Revival appearance to Colonial Revival. The most dramatic of these changes was the removal of the front wraparound porch. Those alterations were made according to plans prepared by John C. Lebey, a prominent architect from Savannah, Georgia. The Lawton House features a two-story, wood frame, side-gabled main block with wings and an asymmetrical rear. The front portion rests on a Flemish-bond brick foundation surmounted by a central single recessed entrance flanked by divided sidelights and a three-light transom above. The entrance is covered by a pedimented porch resting on four square Tuscan Order columns and two similar pilasters, all with pronounced necking. The porch roof, like the rest of the house, is sheathed in standing seam tin. The facade is divided by a wooden water table that accounts for the original roofline of the removed front porch. The wings to either side of the front facade preserve the remaining portions of the original wraparound front porch. The home was constructed using local materials transported by wagon from Jericho. The interior of the house retains many surviving details from its 1908 construction. The house has remained continuously inhabited by John Lawton’s descendants since its construction. Listed in the National Register July 1, 2009.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.