|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Stony Creek Independent Presbyterian Chapel of Prince William Parish, Hampton County (McPhersonville)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Left Rear Oblique||Right Oblique|
|Window Detail||Main Entrance|
Constructed ca. 1833, Stoney Creek Independent Presbyterian Chapel is the only pre-Civil War structure remaining in the village of McPhersonville. This village was built on high ground away from the rice fields in the midst of a tall pine forest. Built by the planters of Prince William Parish who resided in the village during the summer months, the one-story frame building is in the Greek Revival style with later Victorian features. Since it was created as a summer chapel, Stoney Creek is plain and austere, as one would expect for a Presbyterian congregation. It boasts an imposing fašade with four Doric columns supporting a pedimented roof, sash windows with semi-elliptical transoms, and a round stained glass window. An octagonal steeple was added in 1890. The lantern of the steeple features arched 6-light windows on four sides. A small wooden finial rests atop the conical roof. The interior is very simple with plain plaster walls, original wooden pews, and wide pine floors. The site was used as a hospital and the grounds for a campsite by Federal troops. Regular worship at the chapel dwindled due to the economy and lack of growth in the community. As a result the congregation was dissolved in 1967. The chapel is maintained by the First Presbyterian Church of Beaufort. Listed in the National Register May 22, 2002.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.