|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
American Legion Hut, Hampton County (Hoover St. & Jackson Ave., Hampton)
|Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Rear Oblique||Left Rear Oblique|| Interior
Roof Rafter Detail
The American Legion Hut is a one-story, T-shaped cypress log building with a truss roof constructed in 1933. The Hut was constructed as and continues to be a meeting hall for the Hampton American Legion Post 108 as well as serving as a site for civic and social events. Local workers built the Hut supported by funds from the Reconstruction Finance Corporation, a federal agency that provided loans for work relief projects during the Great Depression. Construction began on May 8, 1933, and the hut was formally opened to the public on August 2, 1933. The exterior walls of the building were constructed of saddle-notched cypress logs with a white mortar chinking and rest on a brick pier foundation. The hip roof is covered with asphalt shingles. Vaney Bowers and his brother Dee Bowers, both of Hampton County, cut and skinned the cypress logs used to build the cabin. They pulled the logs on mule-driven carts to the construction site. The American Legion Hut in Hampton has served continuously as a meeting place not only for Legion members, but also for community functions such as school dances, town festivals, family reunions, and veterans’ remembrance services. Listed in the National Register October 27, 2000.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.