South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

The Pineland, Hampton County (The Pineland Lane, off U.S. Hwy. 321, Garnett vicinity)
S1081772500601 S1081772500602 S1081772500603 S1081772500604 S1081772500605
Facade Right Oblique Interior
Fireplace Mantel
Mortise and
Tenon Joint
Roof Rafters
S1081772500606 S1081772500607 S1081772500608    
Old Smokehouse
Old Workshop
Old Kitchen

The Pineland is an excellent intact example of late Federal-early Greek Revival residential design with Victorian-era alterations and additions, demonstrating its evolution from a summer house for nearby Black Swamp Plantation during the period ca. 1800-1865 and as a main residence since 1865. It is also significant for its associations with the Lawton family, prominent in the founding and development of Robertville, a flourishing community in nineteenth-century Beaufort District. The Pineland was built between 1800 and 1820 by William Henry Lawton (1775-1827). The house is a one-story, double pile, lateral gable, composition shingle-clad roofed residence set upon a high stuccoed brick pier foundation with diagonal wood lattice infill. The house has a braced frame structure with mortised, tenoned, Roman numeraled and pegged joinery and is clad in weatherboard. After serving as an officer for the Confederate army, Lawton’s son William John Lawton made The Pineland his permanent home. He was later elected as one of three representatives from the new Hampton County to the South Carolina House of Representatives after the county was founded in 1878. The property also includes a smokehouse, old kitchen, and an old workshop (now a cottage) which contribute to the nomination. Listed in the National Register July 8, 1999.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.