|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hattie J. Peeples House, Hampton County (109 Carolina Ave. W., Varnville)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Oblique||Left Rear Oblique||Rear Elevation|
|Porch Detail|| Interior
| First Story
| Second Story
The Hattie J. Peeples House is significant as an excellent and intact example of a transitional Italianate and Queen Anne style residence in a small town. Construction began in 1889 and was competed by October 1893, when the Rev. Edwin W. Peeples and his wife, Hattie Johns Peeples moved into the house. The house is an L-shaped, two-story, five bay, gable roofed, frame and weatherboard residence. It was built in the Italianate style, but borrowed the L-shaped floor plan and the projecting pavilion from the Italian Villa style and the canted bays, encircling porch, and textured wall surfaces from the Queen Anne style. In 1911, the Hattie J. Peeples House became the first in Varnville to have electricity. Peeples’ son-in-law, Wilbur Ginn, an electrical engineer and graduate of Clemson College, wired the house and many others in the area. There are two contributing outbuildings associated with this property: a frame and weatherboard butler’s quarters, built in 1885; and a brick building, built ca. 1920 to replace an earlier frame structure destroyed by a fire in 1917. This building served as a post office from the time of its construction until 1964. Hattie J. Peeples served for more than thirty years as postmistress. Listed in the National Register October 31, 1992.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.