South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Hampton Colored School, Hampton County (W. Holly St., Hampton)
S1081772500401 S1081772500402
Facade Right Rear Oblique

The Hampton Colored School is significant both as an intact example of twentieth century vernacular school architecture and for its association with black education in Hampton from 1929 to 1947. The building is a one-story, front-gable, rectangular, frame building with clapboard siding, tin roof, exposed rafters, and a brick pier foundation. Ervin Johnson, a local black carpenter, built the school in 1929. It replaced the first black school in Hampton, a two-room building which had operated since 1898. The school board bought a one-acre site for the new school in 1927, and two years later Johnson, along with C.H. Hazel and Hallie Youmans, bought an additional three acres and donated them to the school. Johnson built the two-room (later three-room) school with volunteers from Hampton’s black community. When the school opened for the 1929-1930 school year, it served students from first through eighth grade. Initially funds were so scarce that the school only operated from October to March. Donations from the black community eventually made it possible to operate the school for a full academic year. It remained the only black school in Hampton until 1947, when Hampton Colored High School was built and the Hampton Colored School became the lunchroom for the high school. Listed in the National Register February 28, 1991.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.