|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Hampton County Courthouse, Hampton County (U.S. Hwy. 278, Hampton)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Elevation||Left Rear Oblique|
Located in the center of town, the Hampton County Courthouse was constructed in 1878 as the seat of government for the newly created Hampton County. Since that date the Hampton County Courthouse has been a focal point of community life. The only courthouse Hampton County has ever known, the building was built in the Victorian Italianate style that was popular in the last quarter of the nineteenth century. As originally constructed, the courthouse was a two-story structure constructed of brick laid in the common bond pattern. The hip roof had four triangular pediments with open cornices and rondelles located in the center of all four sides of the building. In 1925, the courthouse was renovated and additional wings were added to the front and rear facades according to plans drawn up by Columbia architects Lafaye and Lafaye. Treatment of the entablature, pediments, corner pilasters and windows match those of the 1878 building. In 1925, all chimneys were removed from the original courthouse and the main entrance was changed from the second to the first floor. The stairway and portico were removed and both doorways were recessed approximately two feet. Although the original architect of the Hampton County Courthouse is unknown, local tradition indicates that the plan of the building was drawn from similar courthouses designed in the state by Robert Mills in the 1820s. Also located within the nominated acreage are two small modern annexes situated directly to the rear of the courthouse, and a ca. 1935 two-story brick annex located directly to the east of the courthouse. Listed in the National Register December 12, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.