South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Oak Grove, Hampton County (S.C. Sec. Rd. 68, Brunson vicinity)
S1081772500101 S1081772500102 S1081772500103 S1081772500104 S1081772500105
Facade Left Oblique Left Elevation Rear Elevation Interior
Central Hall
S1081772500106        
Interior
First Floor
Parlor

(Richardson Place) According to tradition, Oak Grove was built in 1852 by James Cameron Richardson. Oak Grove is a two-story clapboard structure of the Greek Revival style resting upon a raised basement. Wooden steps lead to a veranda that extends the full two stories of the front fašade. The veranda at the rear was enclosed in 1935. The interior has features indicative of a simple, yet well designed and well-constructed house. The mantels are simple, the paneling is hand-hewn pine, and the window moldings are essentially plain. The open staircase is unadorned, having square balusters. The agricultural census for Prince William’s Parish, Beaufort District, in 1850 listed James C. Richardson as the owner of 1,375 acres of which 450 were improved. The cash value of his farm at the time was $4,300. It is believed that General William T. Sherman visited Oak Grove during the Civil War. Supportive of this tradition is Sherman’s Memoirs, which record the night of February 2, 1865 being spent at the nearby Duck Branch Post Office. Oak Grove’s outbuildings, including slave cabins, have since been torn down; however their location is known. The original oaks for which the plantation was named were cut for lumber in 1957. Listed in the National Register July 12, 1976.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.