South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

The Oaks, Greenwood County (114 Old Puckett’s Ferry Rd., Coronaca vicinity)
S1081772402101 S1081772402102 S1081772402103 S1081772402104 S1081772402105
Facade Left Oblique Right Oblique Right Elevation Rear Elevation
S1081772402106 S1081772402107 S1081772402107a S1081772402108 S1081772402109
Left Rear
Left Elevation Main Entrance Interior
Main Entrance
ca. 1855 Double Doors
Rear Hall
S1081772402110 S1081772402111 S1081772402112 S1081772402113 S1081772402114
Fireplace Mantel
Door Surround
First Floor
Fireplace Mantel
Dining Room
Fireplace Mantel
Second Floor
S1081772402115 S1081772402116 S1081772402117 S1081772402118 S1081772402119
Uncut granite and
hand-hewn beams
ca. 1850 Barn
ca. 1850 Barn
Mortise and tenon
Dairy Barn
S1081772402120 S1081772402121 S1081772402122 S1081772402123 S1081772402124
Farm Workshop
Large Barn
Hay Feeding Racks
Small Barn
Gas Pump Water Trough

The Oaks, inclusive of a ca. 1825 two-story wood-frame residence with significant additions and alterations ca. 1845, ca. 1855, ca. 1880, and ca. 1920, is significant architecturally as a Carolina I-House with both vernacular and high-style architectural elements conveying the changing needs and tastes of its owners for ninety-five years. Its original fabric and later additions and alterations are excellent illustrations of the evolution of a Carolina Piedmont farmhouse from the antebellum era until the first quarter of the twentieth century. The collection of main house and outbuildings is a significant surviving collection of resources illustrating the agricultural history of central western South Carolina from ca. 1825 until ca. 1950. The Oaks is also notable for its association with the Calhoun, Sims, Henderson, and Lumley families of Abbeville District (portion of which is now Greenwood County), South Carolina. Contributing resources include a small antebellum ca. 1850 storage building associated with the plantation and post-bellum farm, two large ca. 1920 cow/livestock barns, a ca. 1920 farm workshop, a ca. 1950 dairy barn, an early twentieth century livestock watering trough, and an early-to-mid twentieth century gasoline pump. Listed in the National Register December 17, 2010.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.