South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Kinard House, Greenwood County (227 W. Main St., Ninety Six)
S1081772401801 S1081772401802 S1081772401803 S1081772401804 S1081772401805
Facade Facade
Detail
Left Oblique Left Elevation
Dining Room
Projecting Bay
Rear Elevation
S1081772401806 S1081772401807 S1081772401808 S1081772401809 S1081772401810
Rear Ell and
wraparound porch
Main Entrance Front Porch
Detail
Brick Ruin of
Flower House
Interior
Main Entrance
S1081772401811 S1081772401812 S1081772401813    
Interior
Dining Room
Interior
Paired French
Doors
Interior
ca. 1920 rear
staircase

The Kinard House is significant as an excellent example of Folk Victorian residential architecture of the late nineteenth century which utilizes decorative detailing on a simple house form. It is also significant for its association with Henry Jefferson Kinard and his son Drayton Tucker Kinard II, prominent businessmen and public servants who represented Ninety Six and Greenwood County in the South Carolina House of Representatives in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. This house was built ca. 1885 for Henry Jefferson Kinard and was owned by his descendants until 1978. Kinard was an 1873 graduate of Wofford College and a farmer, merchant, and state legislator. He represented Abbeville County (Ninety Six was in Abbeville County until the creation of Greenwood County in 1897) in the South Carolina House of Representatives in 1892-93 and 1897-98 and represented Greenwood County in the House in 1901-02. Kinard was also one of the leading proponents for the creation of Greenwood County. The two-story gable-front-and-wing building has a five window bay fašade with a central entry. A stone pier foundation supports the weatherboard-clad building. The original pressed metal shingle roof was replaced in 2003 with a sheet metal roof that simulates standing seam rolled roofing. The exterior detail includes sawn brackets at the frieze and soffits of the eaves and in the raking cornices of gables, boxed cornices with crown moldings and partial and fully-pedimented returns. All of the house's gables also feature a delicately-pierced sawn vergeboard. The house was extensively altered ca. 1920 with a remodeling of the front porch and the addition of an exterior chimney on the east end elevation of the house. Listed in the National Register March 7, 2007.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.