|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Magnolia Cemetery, Greenwood County (416 Magnolia Ave., Greenwood)
| Cemetery (Perimeter
Wall and Church)
|South Overview||West Overview||East Overview|| Nellie Screws
| Nellie Screws
|Family Plot|| Family Plot
Cast Iron Fencing
| Little Josie Simmons
| Unknown Confederate
Soldier Grave Marker
| William Durst
| McKellar Family
| Western Perimeter
Magnolia Cemetery, sometimes known as City Cemetery, was established in 1871. It is an excellent example of a late nineteenth through mid-twentieth century cemetery reflecting typical burial customs and gravestone art during the period. The graveyard is laid out in a regular grid plan and contains approximately 1,600 to 1,800 graves. Grave markers are primarily granite or marble tablets, obelisks, square, or stepped monuments capped with urns. There also are several Confederate grave markers, some of which still feature cast iron Maltese crosses. Most family lots are delineated with stone coping, while only a few have decorative iron fence enclosures with entry gates. Burials date from 1872 to the present. A 1922 Gothic-influenced granite shelter contains three pointed arches on either side of an open-arcaded pavilion, and one pointed arch on either end. Magnolia Cemetery is significant as the second cemetery in Greenwood and for its association with many prominent local citizens, including the following: D. Wyatt Aiken, Andrew Alexander Blyth, William V. Blyth, John I. Chipley, Thomas White Cothran, William L. Durst, John K. Durst, Samuel Hodges, David Augustus Parker Jordan, Robert F. McClaslan, Creswell Archimedes Calhoun Waller, and John O. Willson. The granite shelter was dedicated to the memory of Nellie Screws, one of the first teachers at the Greenwood Graded School. Listed in the National Register June 9, 2004.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.