South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Old Greenwood Cemetery, Greenwood County (503 E. Cambridge Ave., Greenwood)
S1081772401601 S1081772401602 S1081772401603 S1081772401604 S1081772401605
Main Entrance Overview Arnold Family
Francis Arnold
Grave Marker
Gate Detail
Arnold Family Plot
S1081772401606 S1081772401607 S1081772401608 S1081772401609 S1081772401610
Overview Detail showing
Monument Company
Thomas Colema
Grave Marker
John Wilkinson
Grave Marker
Lt. R. S. Cobb
Grave Marker
S1081772401611 S1081772401612 S1081772401613 S1081772401614 S1081772401615
J. T. McKellar
Grave Marker
Sarah Verell
Grave Marker
Jessie Coleman
Grave Marker
Allie Darling
Grave Marker
C. A. Cobb
Grave Marker
S1081772401616 S1081772401617      
C. A. Cobb
Grave Marker Detail
Arthur St. Clair Lee
Grave Marker

Established ca. 1860 by the Main Street Methodist Church, the Old Greenwood Cemetery is a mid-nineteenth to late-twentieth century cemetery. It was the first cemetery in Greenwood until the Magnolia Cemetery was laid out in 1871. Located at the original site of the church, the cemetery covers a one-and-one-half acre tract that contains approximately three hundred and fifty graves. The cemetery reflects typical burial customs and gravestone art during its period of significance and contains the graves of many of Greenwood’s prominent citizens. The cemetery is laid out in a regular grid plan with little discernible landscaping or other planned features other than a few trees shading family plots. The church maintained the cemetery until 1906 when it was deeded to the Greenwood Cemetery Association. In 2001, the property was deeded to the Greenwood Historical Society. Some descendants of those buried in the cemetery have worked to maintain it in more recent years. Among the prominent local figures buried here are: Alfred P. Aldrich, Jr., James A. Bailey, R.S. Cobb, Thomas Jones, Arthur St. Clair Lee, Julia Lee, J.T. McKellar, Thomas Franklin Riley, and Cadmus Garlington Waller. Listed in the National Register March 1, 2002.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.