|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Mount Pisgah A.M.E. Church, Greenwood County (Hackett Ave. & James St., Greenwood)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Porch Entrance|| Interior
Mount Pisgah African Methodist Episcopal Church is a late interpretation of the vernacular ecclesiastical architecture of the last two decades of the nineteenth century. Exemplary of the widespread growth of independent black churches which occurred in the South both during and after Reconstruction, Mount Pisgah A.M.E. Church has been an important influence on the religious and educational life of the black community of Greenwood. Erected in 1908 in the Gothic Revival style by members of the congregation, the brick church features typical Gothic details and is set on an enclosed basement. Architectural features of note include the steep, cross gabled roof with stepped end gables, the asymmetrical massing of the porch and tower, the 1/1 Gothic center pointed stained glass windows, the auditorium plan, and the flat coved ceilings of the interior. The interior is basicly symmetrical in plan and is exemplary of the auditorium form which was derived in the 1880s and 1890s to meet the needs of American Protestant worship. The original pulpit, altar, and balustrade with turned balusters and newel posts remain. The curving pews date to the 1880s and are not original to the church. Listed in the National Register August 16, 1979.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.