|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Sunnyside, Greenwood County (205 Dargan Ave., Greenwood )
|Facade||Left Oblique||Porch Detail|| Left Elevation
|Facade ca. 1920|
| Left Oblique
| Left Elevation
Sunnyside is an unusual example of a blend of the Gothic Revival and Greek Revival styles of architecture. Historically the house has been associated with several locally prominent individuals, who have made substantial contributions to their community. Built in 1851 by Robert Gillam, Sunnyside is a one-and-one-half story house with flush board siding covering the front fašade and weatherboard siding covering the remainder of the house. It is basically Gothic Revival in style, featuring a gabled roof and dormers with scalloped bargeboard. Greek Revival elements include the portico covering the front fašade and the heavy proportions of the interior details. There are two compound interior chimneys located on each front gable end of the house and one large interior chimney located in the central rear section of the house. Sunnyside was originally built with a T-shaped floor plan. In 1906, Harry L. Watson, editor and publisher of Greenwood’s newspaper, purchased the house. At this time Watson also was Chairman of the Board of Greenwood Public Schools, a Trustee of Furman University, President of the South Carolina Press Association, and the President of Greenwood’s National Loan and Exchange Bank. Tradition states that Sunnyside was named for and modeled after the home of Washington Irving in Tarrytown, New York. Listed in the National Register November 14, 1978.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.