|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Stony Point, Greenwood County (S.C. Hwy. 246 & S.C. Sec. Rd. 39, Greenwood vicinity)
|Facade|| Second Story
|Right Oblique||Right Rear Oblique|
Stony Point is built in a style commonly found in the Central Atlantic States, and was reminiscent of the family’s Virginia roots. The classically inspired house of Flemish bond brick is five bays wide and is capped by a jerkinhead roof with corbeling at the roofline. There are twin exterior end chimneys with corbeled caps on both sides of the house. The surroundings include three outbuildings, none of which was constructed with the house. Three generations of owners of the two-story brick house—William Smith, Joel Smith, and Wyatt Aiken—were wealthy, prominent men who worked for community and state improvements. Construction of Stony Point began under the ownership of William Smith. The father of thirteen children, he operated a store and in 1808 established a post office, the second in Greenwood County, at Stony Point. In 1818 William Smith began construction of a new home. He died six years later and the brick house was bought from the estate and completed by his son, Joel Smith. Joel Smith wielded great influence in the Upcountry in his various roles as a planter, merchant, banker, and supporter of industries and railroads. In addition to farming, he continued the store established by his father at Stony Point and also served as postmaster from 1824 to 1844 and from 1851 to 1853. He served in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1840-1848. Listed in the National Register June 20, 1975.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register Property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.