South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

F. W. Welborn House, Greenville County (405 N. Weston St., Fountain Inn)
S1081772306801 S1081772306802 S1081772306803 S1081772306804 S1081772306805
Facade Left Elevation Rear Elevation Right Elevation Interior
Living Room
S1081772306806 S1081772306807 S1081772306808 S1081772306809 S1081772306810
Interior
Dining Room
Interior
Kitchen
Facade
ca. 1926
Facade
ca. 1920
Facade
ca. 1950

The F. W. Welborn House, built ca.1914, is significant architecturally as an excellent example of a Craftsman-influenced house in Fountain Inn. The house features a distinctive eyebrow curve in the faÁadeís front eave, exposed rafters under wide overhanging eaves, a large central tripartite window overlooking a grassy front yard, a deep corner porch at the houseís southeast corner, exposed oak mantels, an eighteen foot window seat with recessed panels under the tripartite window, decorative leaded glass window transoms, oak window and door surrounds with bullís eye corner blocks, picture and crown molding, and flooring. The F. W. Welborn House is one of Fountain Innís earliest homes and is one of the most representative and exemplary residential examples of the Craftsman style in Fountain Inn. The F. W. Welborn House reflects Fountain Innís growth and development during the early twentieth century from a small rural farming community of large two-story Queen Anne and vernacular houses to a textile-centered town with a central business district that boasted a new class of educated professionals including individuals such as Clemson graduate F. W. Welborn. Welborn built his house in Fountain Innís principal residential neighborhood, one block east of Main Street and parallel to the central business district, in the most academic architectural style in Fountain Inn from the 1910s to the 1930s. The house was moved seventy five feet to the adjoining lot to the south in 1925 by the Welborn family. The corner porch enclosure with its horizontal tripartite window occurred in 1953. Listed in the National Register November 23, 2010.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.