|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Cannon Building, Greenville County (100 N. Main St., Fountain Inn)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Cornice Detail|| Interior
| Right Oblique
The Cannon Building is locally significant as an intact example of late nineteenth century commercial architecture, for its association with the establishment, early growth and development of the town of Fountain Inn, and for its association with James Alvin Cannon (1853-1928), who played a central role in the establishment and development of Fountain Inn. The Cannon Building is one of the oldest extant structures in Fountain Inn. The exact date of construction is not known, although James A. Cannon most likely had the building constructed ca. 1880 to accommodate his thriving business operations and a new post office. The building has housed the Cannon Store, the Cannon Funeral Home, the Peoples Bank of Fountain Inn, the Fountain Inn Tribune, and the town post office. It is an architecturally distinctive building that reflects the prominence of its owner and tenants through its stately construction, classical ornamentation and prominent corner location. The two-story brick building contains 6000 square feet equally distributed on two levels. Like most commercial storefronts from the nineteenth century, the two-part storefront of the Cannon Building was altered to reflect modern trends in retail architecture. The alterations have been limited, however, and have not compromised the basic structural or architectural integrity of the building. Listed in the National Register September 28, 2005.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.