South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Hugh Aiken House, Greenville County (1 Parkside Dr., Greenville)
S1081772305401 S1081772305402 S1081772305403 S1081772305404 S1081772305405
Facade Facade Detail
(Left Block)
Facade Detail
(Right Block)
Right Oblique Right Elevation
S1081772305406 S1081772305407 S1081772305408 S1081772305409 S1081772305410
Rear Elevation Left Elevation Pond Porch Detail Window Detail
S1081772305411 S1081772305412 S1081772305413 S1081772305414 S1081772305415
Main Entrance Interior
Main Entrance
Living Room
S1081772305416 S1081772305417 S1081772305418    
Dining Room
Children's Room

The Hugh Aiken House possesses architectural significance as one of William “Willie” Riddle Ward’s most distinctive single-family residential designs. The house is a one and one-half story frame residence constructed in 1952. It was designed in 1948 by Ward, a notable Greenville architect, for Hugh K. Aiken, president and treasurer of Piedmont Paint and Manufacturing Company. The distinctive loggia and angled footprint of the Aiken residence were features that Ward was especially proud of with this design. The house was constructed in the Colonial Revival style on an extensively landscaped lot adjacent to the North Main Street area of Greenville. Ward’s design approach emphasized compatibility with the configuration of the lot and its heavily wooded, natural setting and falling topography. The focal point of the lot is a small pond fed by natural springs. The home’s foundation is stone, complementing the flagstone steps and front porch floor and the retaining walls of the landscaping. The central section consists of a formal entrance hall, living room, den, and loggia. The loggia connects to adjacent rear halls flanking the loggia and provides access to the other areas of the house comprised of the bedrooms, dining room, kitchen, breakfast room and children’s activity room (formerly the garage). A large, tapered stone chimney dominates the front elevation of the house and a second tapered, stone chimney accents the south elevation of the house. Listed in the National Register April 11, 2003.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.