South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

Robert G. Turner House, Greenville County (305 N. Main St., Greer)
S1081772305201 S1081772305202 S1081772305203 S1081772305204 S1081772305205
Facade Left Oblique Right Elevation Main Entrance Outbuilding
S1081772305206 S1081772305207 S1081772305208 S1081772305209  
French Door
Sitting Room
Living Room

The Robert G. Turner House, built in 1935, is significant as an excellent example of a Colonial Revival residence of the period and as an important residential design by prominent Greenville architect William Riddle Ward (1890-1984). Ward, an Alabama native, was educated at Auburn University and came to South Carolina in 1916 to work for Greenville architect Haskell H. Martin; he left Martin’s firm in 1925 to go into independent architectural practice, and designed over one hundred residences in the state - including many in Greenville and Greenville County - by the time he retired in 1957. Ward was commissioned to design this house for Robert Gibbs Turner and his wife Mary after Mrs. Turner saw a Ward-designed house in Greenville and admired it. The house is divided into three distinct masses: a two-story, lateral gabled body, a single-height side-gabled porch, and a single-height side-gabled wing. The roof structure of all three, clad in composition shingles, features simple boxed cornices with ogee moulding. He also designed a one-story brick veneered garage for the Turners. Listed in the National Register February 1, 1999.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.

Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.