|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
West End Commercial Historic District, Greenville County (Greenville)
| American Bank
701 S. Main St.
| Alliance and
Mills & McBayer
7-17 Augusta St.
|724 S. Main St.||722 S. Main St.|| Indian River
718 S. Main St.
| Pete's Place
714 S. Main St.
| Park's Dry Goods
712 S. Main St.
| Bacot's West End
708 S. Main St.
| Hovey & Clyde's/
B.M. McGee Grocery
704 S. Main St.
| Furman Lunch
654 S. Main St.
| OK Pawn Shop/
606-618 S. Main St.
| Greer Thompson
631 S. Main St.
The West End Commercial Historic District is significant as Greenville’s second “downtown,” with historic resources dating from ca. 1869 to ca. 1939, the majority of which date from the 1880s to the 1920s, a period of extensive development in the area. The district is architecturally significant for its notable examples of Victorian commercial buildings on the first block of Pendleton Street and for its twentieth century commercial buildings along South Main Street. The district consists of 21 commercial properties, 15 of which are contributing to the character of the district. Located south of the Reedy River, major commercial development began after the Civil War near Furman University and the Greenville and Columbia Railroad depot. By the 1890s the first block of Pendleton Street, (now S. Main St.), was a flourishing commercial area. To the north, Chicora College (1893-1915), a Presbyterian school for women, was established on “McBee’s Terrace” overlooking the Reedy River. South Main Street from modern-day Camperdown Way south to River Street developed following World War I, after Chicora burned in 1919 and its former property was commercially developed. Listed in the National Register January 7, 1993; Boundary increase May 29, 1998.
View a map showing the boundaries of the West End Commercial Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
View the complete text of the nomination form for the boundary increase of this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.