|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Simpsonville Baptist Church, Greenville County (106 Church St., Simpsonville)
|Left Oblique||Left Elevation|| Sunday School
|Right Oblique||Right Elevation|
| Sunday School
"The Lost Sheep"
(Simpsonville First Baptist Church) The Simpsonville Baptist Church, constructed in 1913-1914, is significant as an excellent example of early twentieth century church architecture, and of the stylistic interpretations of Luther D. Proffitt, Spartanburg architect. Designed chiefly in the Romanesque Revival style, the church also contains elements of both Moorish and Gothic Revival architecture, all of which were period revivals in popular usage from 1900-1940, especially in religious buildings. The church is a two-story, five-bay, hip-roofed, Flemish-bond brick structure set on a brick foundation with an ashlar watertable. Its twin towers exhibit a Moorish influence in the stepped, convex-shaped, sheet metal-covered hop roof atop each tower. The numerous round-headed stained glass windows, each highlighted by a rubbed brick arch with an ashlar keystone. The most celebrated features of the church are the two large pictorial stained glass windows on the west and south elevations. The church has been known for many years throughout the upstate as “The Friendly Church with Beautiful Windows.” The subjects depicted in these windows are believed to be taken from the work of Holman Hunt, an English artist known for painting biblical scenes. The are entitled “Our Savior Knocking on the Door” and “The Lost Sheep.” Listed in the National Register October 13, 1992.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.