|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Imperial Hotel, Greenville County (W. Washington St., Greenville)
|Facade||Left Elevation|| Left Rear
|Rear Elevation||Right Elevation|
|Right Oblique|| Brick and
(Hotel Greenville) The Imperial Hotel is significant as Greenville’s first skyscraper, illustrating the commercial growth of the city, and as the third example of early high rise architecture in South Carolina. Designed by Greenville architects F.H. and J.G. Cunningham as a seven-story, ninety-room commercial hotel, construction was begun in 1911 by W.M. Jordan of Greenville and completed in 1912. The hotel was constructed during a period of economic prosperity brought to Greenville by an expanding cotton textile industry. The hotel was constructed as a seven-story skyscraper with a buff colored brick veneer over a steel frame. By 1930 it was the largest hotel in Greenville with 250 rooms. The “U” shaped footprint of the building is largely unadorned with the first floor fašade featuring elliptical fanlighted windows followed by six floors with six-over-one windows. The building has a flat roof topped by a metal boxed cornice supported by brackets. There are Art Deco influenced decorative moldings applied below each set of brackets. The first floor lobby area has Terrazzo tile floors, marble stairs and baseboards, brass rail detailing and pine paneling. Listed in the National Register September 12, 1985.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Greenville, ca. 1810-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.