South Carolina Department of Archives and History
National Register Properties in South Carolina

John H. Goodwin House, Greenville County (S.C. Hwy. 11 at U.S. Hwy. 25, Cleveland vicinity)
S1081772303301 S1081772303302 S1081772303303 S1081772303304 S1081772303305
Facade Right Oblique Left Elevation Left Rear
Oblique
Brickwork
Detail
S1081772303306 S1081772303307 S1081772303308 S1081772303309  
Original
Log Construction
Original
Log Construction
Interior
Living Room
Interior
Staircase

(Blythe-Goodwin-Hagood House) The John H. Goodwin House is significant as a fine example of a vernacular, upcountry farmhouse with some attempt at refined detail. The property is also important visually as a reminder of the history of the upcountry of South Carolina and, according to tradition, as a stage-stop and store on the old road between Greenville and Asheville. The house is a two-story weatherboarded building with a closed brick foundation, a two-tiered porch across its fašade (southeast elevation), and a gabled roof. The earliest portion of the house, comprising the northeast side of the house, is a two-story, single-pen, log building, possibly constructed ca. 1790. The house was substantially enlarged with a two-story braced-frame addition in the early nineteenth century (ca. 1840). An entrance hallway and a large square room added to the south elevation on both stories adapted the plan to the vernacular central hall, single-pile plan (“I-House”). A detached, one-story frame kitchen with a central, stone chimney was built behind the house about this time. Alterations from later periods enclosed one room on the northeast end of the porch and connected the detached kitchen building to the main house. A one-story frame store building constructed in the late nineteenth century is located southwest of the house within the nominated acreage. Listed in the National Register September 8, 1983.

View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.

Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.

Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.


Images provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History.