|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Pettigru Street Historic District, Greenville County (Greenville)
|115 Broadus Ave.||104 Broadus Ave.|| Fourth Presbyterian
703 E. Washington St.
|650 E. Washington St.||702 E. Washington St.|
|704 E. Washington St.||706 E. Washington St.|| Poinsett Club
807 E. Washington St.
|18 Williams St.||111 Pettigru St.|
|211 Pettigru St.||100 Williams St.||304 Pettigru St.||400 Pettigru St.||401 Pettigru St.|
|415 Pettigru St.||501 Pettigru St.||507 Pettigru St.||113 Whitsett St.||109 Whitsett St.|
|101 Whitsett St.||100 Whitsett St.||3 Whitsett St.||2 Whitsett St.|| Hayne School
The Pettigru Street Historic District is significant for its wide range of architectural styles, which mirrors the growth of Greenville between 1890 and 1930. The district is located to the east of downtown and contains seventy-one contributing properties. The district was also the home of many prominent businessmen and mill owners. The majority of the buildings were built between 1910 and 1930 and are of frame and brick construction. They were mostly constructed in the Victorian, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Craftsman, and Bungalow styles. Although there has been some commercial encroachment, most of the area remains a residential neighborhood. Many of the streets are tree-lined, and the buildings have common setbacks. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982.
View a map showing the boundaries of the Pettigru Street Historic District.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Greenville, ca. 1810-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.