|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Lanneau-Norwood House, Greenville County (417 Belmont Ave., Greenville)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|
The Lanneau-Norwood House is an outstanding example of the Second Empire style and is associated with prominent residents of Greenville. The house is a two-and-one-half story brick mansion built for Charles H. Lanneau ca. 1877. The symmetrical fašade features a central pavilion and tower and projecting corner pavilions. The tower is octagonal in shape and extends one and one-half stories above the cornice line of the main block of the house. A one-story front porch extends the full width of the fašade and projects outward from the corner pavilions. The porch includes slender posts with scrolled brackets, a decorative cornice, and balustrades at roof level. The windows have round-arched lintels and granite sills. Lanneau organized the Hugenot Plaid Mill which was constructed in 1882. The house and associated parcel were acquired by John Wilkins Norwood from the Lanneau estate in 1907. Norwood was a prominent banker and businessman known for his contribution as a leading financier of the growing textile industry in North and South Carolina. The nominated property includes three outbuildings: a two-room, one-story brick servants’ quarters with a gable roof, a brick garage, and a small greenhouse. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Greenville, ca. 1810-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.