|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Greenville Gas and Electric Light Company, Greenville County (211 E. Broad St., Greenville)
|Facade||Right Oblique||Left Elevation||Eave Detail|| Window Detail
| Window Detail
(Duke Power Steam Plant) The two buildings (ca. 1890) of the Greenville Gas and Electric Light Company are significant to the city of Greenville as one of its earliest electrical plants. The larger building served as a coal-fueled, steam-powered electric generating plant. This one-story, rectangular brick building has round arched window and door openings. The second building is a two-story rectangular brick building originally used as offices for the power company. The window and door openings have segmental arches. The buildings were owned and operated by the Greenville Gas and Electric Light and Power Company. In 1910 the buildings were sold to the Southern Power Company which was rechartered in 1913 as Southern Public Utilities. Later the company evolved into Duke Power Company. The building is vernacular Victorian with Romanesque commercial structure elements. It is one of the few remaining Victorian structures in the downtown area. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Greenville, ca. 1810-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.