|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Davenport Apartments, Greenville County (400-402 E. Washington St., Greenville)
|Left Oblique|| Facade
|Right Oblique||Rear Elevation|| Courtyard
The Davenport Apartments are architecturally significant as a local interpretation of early twentieth century architecture, combining several elements from contemporary styles. The building served as the first apartment building in the city and housed middle-class businessmen and workers. The building is in a largely unaltered condition retaining much of its original interior with mahogany trim and wainscoting. The Davenport Apartments were developed by G.D. Davenport, a wealthy businessman of Greenville County. This three-story, U-shaped brick building was designed by J.L. Lawrence, a Greenville architect, and constructed by Eugene Gilphilan in 1915-1916. The building has a large rectangular section in the rear and two smaller wings that extend from the rear block to the street, forming the fašade and an open court between the two wings. Two one-story porches with stone elliptical arches and brick pillars frame the four entranceways that are grouped in pairs on the fašade. A brick parapet rises above the denticulated cornice with consoles. The interior court has three curvilinear gables with the name DAVENPORT inscribed on a panel of the central gable. The building features a water table, brick quoins, and wrought iron balconies with brackets. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Greenville, ca. 1810-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.