|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Chamber of Commerce Building, Greenville County (130 S. Main St., Greenville)
|Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Main Entrance||Cornice Detail|
The Chamber of Commerce Building was one of the first skyscrapers to be built in Greenville. The ten-story rectangular building was constructed in 1925. The building was constructed in a period when Greenville was enjoying a high level of prosperity. The Chamber of Commerce Building was part of the building wave that flourished in Greenville in the 1920s. Architecturally, the Chamber of Commerce Building is a fine example of skyscraper design of the early twentieth century. The building shows the influence of the Chicago School of skyscraper design and also of the Neo-Classical style. The composition, a tripartite design with base, shaft, and capital, is based on the classical column. The skyscraper has brick sheathing laid in Flemish bond and a first story with smooth ashlar stone quoins. The two-story base has classical detailing: stone sills and architraves, a stone door surround featuring two eagle motifs, and stone keystones over the first floor windows. The roof story features tall arched windows above a stone belt course. A brick and stone frieze with transoms and stone panels is below the broad cornice that terminates the building. The firm of Beacham and LeGrand designed the building; J.E. Sirrine and Company served as engineers. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Greenville, ca. 1810-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.