|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
American Cigar Factory, Greenville County (25 E. Court St., Greenville)
| Right Oblique
|Facade||Right Oblique||Right Elevation|| Right Rear
|Rear Elevation||Left Elevation||Left Oblique||Entrance||Window Detail|
(Stone Manufacturing Company) The American Cigar Factory was one of the largest brick buildings in Greenville when it was constructed ca. 1902 by the American Improvement Company. This building was one of five factories the American Cigar Company located in the South. Situated in the heart of the central business district, it employed 150 girls and young women when it began production. The four-story, rectangular brick building features doors and windows with segmental arch openings. Each of the segmental arched window openings contains two double-hung sash windows that are divided by mullions and have six-over-nine lights. The low-pitched gable roof has a projecting eave supported by large tie beams and sleepers. The floors are supported by wooden posts. It is one of the largest brick masonry buildings remaining in the downtown area and reflects the industrial growth of Greenville at the turn of the century. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982.)
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property. In addition, the Historic Resources of Greenville, ca. 1810-ca. 1930 includes historical background information for this and other related National Register properties.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.