|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
Arthur Barnwell House, Greenville County (S.C. Hwy. 14, Pelham vicinity)
|Facade||Left Oblique||Left Elevation||Arch Detail|| Outbuilding
(Barnwell-DeCamps House) The Arthur Barnwell House is reputed to have been built between 1880 and 1900 by the Pelham Manufacturing Company as a residence for its first president, Arthur Barnwell, in conjunction with Pelham Mills. The house is significant for its association with the development of Pelham Mills, a cotton factory established in the 1880s, and architecturally as the only local example of the Queen Anne style. The mill village and mill ruins are located on the opposite bank of the Enoree River from the Barnwell House. The house is a two-and-one-half story wood frame residence supported by a brick pier foundation. Its irregular plan features two two-story polygonal bays projecting opposite each other on the northeast and southwest elevations and a one-story kitchen ell projecting from the northwest elevation. The house is sheathed in shiplap siding and has a steep gable roof. Exterior decorative features include white-painted horizontal and vertical boards contrasting with the yellow siding, which serve to define and delineate the fenestration of the first and second stories. Two interior and one exterior brick chimneys are located on the main block of the house. The roofing is modern composition shingle over the original metal roof. Located a short distance north of the house is a large barn featuring a raised brick foundation with common bond and round arch ventilation openings, mortise and tenon frame construction, a cross gable roof with monitor, weatherboard and shingle wall covering, and a raised seam metal roof. Listed in the National Register March 19, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.