|South Carolina Department of Archives and History|
|National Register Properties in South Carolina
T. Q. Donaldson House, Greenville County (412 Crescent Ave., Greenville)
|Left Oblique||Right Oblique||Right Elevation||Rear Elevation||Outbuilding|
(Dr. Davis Furman House) The T.Q. Donaldson House is thought to have been built as a private residence by William Williams, ca. 1863. The house is significant both for its association with prominent residents of Greenville and as a vernacular interpretation of the Italianate style. In addition, it is one of the few Greenville homes of this period that remains in near original condition. The house as originally built was a one-and-one-half story cottage. However, soon after its construction, a second story was added. Presently, the house is basically symmetrical and is comprised of a two-story rectangular block with a single story wing attached to the west elevation and single story ells attached to east and west ends of the south elevation. Set on a combination of brick piers and walls that create a partially solid basement, the frame building sheathed with weatherboard features a low hip roof with a center front gable, boxed cornice, bracketed eaves, second-story window heads, a stair hall with an elliptical arch, and original woodwork. Thomas Q. Donaldson was a prominent lawyer and member of the South Carolina Senate from Greenville County from 1872 to 1876. He was influential in promoting the financial progress of Greenville County after the Civil War. The nominated property also includes a three-room frame, weatherboard outbuilding believed to have been constructed ca. 1863 for use as a kitchen and servant’s quarters. Listed in the National Register September 4, 1980.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by theSouth Carolina Department of Archives and History.